6/3/10

Rent-a-Hubby

I love throwing parties. My husband does not. I'm an obsessive overachiever with catering price comparisons and costco lists. I bully my girlfriends into baking hundreds of mini cupcakes; i'm a better delegator than baker.
But once the party starts, and I have my first cocktail in hand, I am notorious for letting guests fend for themselves. I have too much fun flitting around barefoot, catching up with neighbors, and making obnoxious toasts while standing on chairs. 
My husband refuses to partake in my party mania. He refuses to follow my commands, instructions, or even gentle suggestions. It is better for our marriage for me to find help elsewhere. It is better for me to rent-a-hubby.
This past April, I was referred to a wonderful waiter who wouldn't mind helping out for a Sunday birthday brunch. He arrived on a drizzly morning, wearing the coziest hoodie sweatshirt I had ever seen. He grinned and asked how he could help. Within minutes, he was standing on a ladder hanging chinese lanterns. And to my surprise, he kept on grinning.
He wanted to change into the standard black shirt before the party started, but I demanded he keep his hoodie on. Our friends thought he was a super attentive friend. They didn't know he was my rent-a-hubby
I'm ordering the same hoodie for my real husband. I hope it will have magical powers. I hope it will inspire him to slice fruit, make finger sandwiches, and pick up empty cups. But I'm not holding my breath.
THE RENT-A-HUBBY UNIFORM
The unisex Rocky Eco-Fleece Zip Hoodie by Alternative Apparel